Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Cow Town

Zeke and I packed up on Friday and headed out to Cow Town (Fort Worth, Texas). We picked up Meghan (Brian's youngest sis) in San Antonio on the way and met Brian and Amanda for the weekend! Amanda lives there, but Brian flew in from Little Rock to meet us.

Brian and I stayed at the Hilton downtown. It was really nice! This was our view from the room, where we could see the convention center...







We went to a really fun sushi bar on Friday, Piranha Killer Sushi, and had some delicious martinis and sushi. YUM!










We got to see the new Batman movie and had some extremely fresh pizza at the Mellow Mushroom Saturday evening.

Zeke and I said our goodbyes on Sunday after breakfast, which was sad since Amanda is moving to Phoenix, Arizona this week for medical school. We may not see her again before we leave for Japan... :o(

Speaking of Japan, moving time is coming up and stepping on my heels. The movers are coming for storage and our slow-boat shipment the first week in September. EEK! It will be a very empty house here for the month of September until they get our express shipment at the end of September. Then, we are out of our condo and will be nomads until October 19th when we fly out of Houston IAH (tentatively) with Zeke.

Here's what I know. There are four versions of our stuff to organize.
  1. The stuff that goes on the plane.
  2. The stuff that goes into our express shipment AKA Unaccompanied Baggage.
  3. The stuff that goes into our slow boat shipment AKA Household Goods.
  4. The stuff that goes into storage here in the US until we return.

Here's what I have in each respective category thus far.

  1. Zeke's crate, important files, as much clothing and necessities as I can cram in as many suitcases as they will let me.
  2. Futon. Clothing. Pans. Linens. TV. Computer.
  3. Furniture and everything else that will not get packed in the express shipment.
  4. Wedding Dress. China. Armoire. Bedroom Furniture. Anything else I do not want damaged on trip to and from Japan.
I have been color-coding everything in the house so I do not go insane with movers coming three different times. I have labeled things with a pink post-it for express, a blue one for slow-boat, and a yellow one for storage. Oh and I forgot to mention the enormous pile of crap in the computer room for a garage sale in September with a few other couples.

Welcome to the life of a military wife. :)

1 comment:

aviva5271 said...

Jessica, HI! Thanks so much for your comment, and almost welcome to Okinawa. I shoot with 2 cameras these days... but mostly with my Canon 1D Mark III. I have started a photography business which is launching to the public in September. (aviva-photography.com - and there's a related blog link there too!)

I see you saw & used my idea for the packout, good for you! If you need advice or help let me know. aviva dot bowman at gmail dot com. Good luck, and don't worry - it'll come together for you. Sounds like you're excited! You should be, it's fun.